When browsing the pages of Southern Living and Conde Nast Traveler, I add to my expanding list of dream travel destinations in the South and elsewhere. I would love to visit the 10 Southern spots on the list below for the first time:
1) New Orleans – I’ve always wanted to attend Jazz Fest – this year’s line up includes The Allman Brothers, Lionel Richie, Aretha Franklin and Pearl Jam among countless other big names.
2) North Carolina Outerbanks – The white sand beaches of Ocracoke Island and Cape Hatteras are consistently ranked among the nation’s best.
3) Sea Island, Georgia – I would love to stay at the renowned Cloister (the entire Sea Island Resort was renovated in 2007) wheremy grandparents spent their honeymoon.
4) Boca Grande, Florida – The coastal town’s secluded beaches and historic luxury sound divine – check out profile in the February issue of Conde Nast Traveler.
5) Nashville, Tennessee – I’m not a huge country music fan (though loving Lady Antebellum), but could definitely get into the honky-tonk spirit with a few cocktails.
6) Amelia Island, Florida – Just over the northern Florida border, the barrier island is known for natural beauty and luxury resorts like the Ritz-Carlton.
7) The Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia – The iconic resort in the Allegheny Mountains offers amenities including spa, casino, championship golf courses and gourmet cuisine.
8) The Homestead in Hot Springs, Virginia – The winter wonderland photos on the resort’s Web site make me want to buy snowshoes and book a reservation immediately.
9) Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, Florida – I’m fascinated by the surrealist artist’s haunting images and sculptures.
10) Beaufort, South Carolina – The picturesque coastal town was the setting for films including Prince of Tides, based on the book by my favorite author and Beaufort local Pat Conroy.
Would love to know the Southern destinations on your dream travel list!